Burlap Bag Advent Calendar
I decided to get crafty and make my own advent calendar, since I was having trouble finding one that I liked. This calendar is very versatile simply made of 24 burlap bags, wooden clothes pins and rope. These small burlap bags are perfect for a piece of candy or a slip of paper with an activity you can do together as a family. I like to fill them with an activity but I like being able to choose to put a treat inside when I am feeling lazy. Each day I fill them before my kids open it, this way I can choose what I am in the mood for doing that day.
A template for the activity cards can be found here: advent_calendar_activities.pdf
- burlap fabric
- sewing machine
- wooden clothes pins
- accent ribbon
- activity cards
- number print out
- Cut your burlap into 7 inch squares.
- Fold the fabric over and sew around the bottom and up one side.
- Fold over the top and hem with a zig zag stitch.
- I found an advent calendar number printout by searching google. Find one you like and print it out. Then cut them out.
- There are tons of ideas out there for advent activities. I attached the PDF of the activities I used this year.
- With a tape roll attach each number to a burlap bag.
- Fill the bags now if you wish, or wait to do it each morning, like I do.
- Tie a ribbon or string around each bag.
- Hang your rope where you would like your advent calendar to be. This would look great hung from a mantle. We currently live in Vietnam, since there is no use for a fireplace here, this wasn't a choice for us. ;)
- Pin up each burlap bag to the rope and take a step back and marvel in your creation then pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
- Each day that your kids take a number down pin it back up backwards.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.