Finding Christmas Help?

I am 49 yrs old and I am disabled, so I live on a very fixed income. I have a 16 year old son here at home with me and I would like to know if I could get a little help with Christmas for him an my 5 year old granddaughter. I have been disabled since 2007 and it takes all that I get on SS to pay the bills and some of them don't get paid. I try the best I can, but no one will hire me because of my disablement. So what I'm asking is there any way I could get some help thru the holidays for the 16 year old an the 5 year old. I so sorry that I have to request this. I have always worked, but now it's come to a complete stop. I'm usually the one that helps others. Thank you.


By tammy prine

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 26, 20120 found this helpful

It would help if we knew where you live. However, why are you concerned about gifts for your grandaughter? Her parents should be doing that. I live off $600 a month retirement social security, and I spend about $40.00+ on my adult developmentally disabled daughter and $40.00 on my other adult daughter, then $20.00 on each of her adult kids, $10.00 each on my two sisters and then I also exchange gifts with my elderly aunt and her daughter.

I got the gifts for all of my grandchildren right after last Christmas, on sale for $10.00 each. I also got my sister's gifts last March, they had been close to $30.00 and they were on clearance for $10.00. I have been all done with my shopping for several months. I do a little at a time, starting right after Christmas, and sometimes I start before Christmas, for the following Christmas.


However, when my daughters were young we never gave them more than one gift from us, they each exchanged a gift, then they each got one gift from each set of grandparents and one each from each aunt/uncle. No kid needs more than one gift from each person and your son is old enough to understand the situation.

There are several places that will help with Christmas gifts, but a lot of them have a cut off age of 12 years. You can check with the Salvation Army, and other churches in your area, but most of all I would suggest that you talk to your pastor. A lot of times if a person's church knows that somebody in the congregation needs help they will take up a special offering for an anonymous family.

Are you on food stamps and do you get heating assistance? If you rent, do you get rent assistance. There is different types of assistance available if you dig until you find it. I don't know what type of work you are looking for. But at my Walmart store there is a couple door greeters that are in wheel chairs, and one has difficulty speaking.


Several of the other door greeters are so elderly that they have difficulty walking, but they are working, at least part time. Being I ride what is called a paratransit bus when I have to go places I meet all kinds of disabled people that are on their way to or from work. There was one girl in a wheel chair that worked in one of the hospitals delivering newspapers to patients rooms.

How do you know you aren't getting hired because of your disability? If they have told you this, that is discrimination. My daughter works part time in a fast food place, she wipes off the tables, and wipes off the trays, and does other cleaning. Oh yes, my kids, to this day have never had a gift with a designer label or anything in the electronic line. I hope this has helped you to some degree.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 27, 20120 found this helpful

REDHATTERB said it all in no uncertain terms. Have you asked "ALL" charity organizations in your immediate area for assistance.


This is a rather long pathetic story. Good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 28, 20120 found this helpful

Check with your local Lions Club.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 28, 20120 found this helpful

I would think you could find a suitable gift for a 5 year old at one of the dollar stores? Maybe even something your son would like. If you look at your state's website, they should have Rehabilitation Services offered. This is an office who works with employment for people with disabilities. Perhaps they could assist you with a part time job or training if needed. Best of luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 29, 20120 found this helpful

Tammy, go to your social services dept. they can help you or tell you where to go. I know around here we have trees with names of people on it and people can pick a card off and help that family during the holidays.


Social services here is over this. You have worked and you deserve the help now so please go to your social services.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Article
< Previous
CharitiesOctober 26, 2012
Father's Day Ideas!
Fourth of July Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
AdviceBaking TipsBooksBoxing DayBudgetCardsCharitiesChristmas RecipesCleaningCooking TipsCraftsDecoratingDietingGamesGift WrappingGiftsHelpful HintsHosting TipsLinksMiscellaneousMy Frugal HolidayOrganizationParentingPartiesPhotosPlanningSanta TipsShoppingStocking StuffersTraditionsTravel
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-06-05 02:10:13 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.