Norwegian Butter Ring Cookie Recipe
This versatile cookie recipe has it all! It uses up spare yolks that I always seem to accumulate. You can add food coloring or form into a variety of shapes for any holiday. It is a real hit at parties and cookie exchanges since the recipe makes 8 to 9 dozen. It may be divided and frozen as dough, or preformed cookies for later baking.
Kids love helping make them too! What's not to love?
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 plus dozen
Source: A local cooking lesson
- 3 hard boiled egg yolks
- 4 raw egg yolks
- 2 egg whites (beaten til foamy)
- 5 - 5 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 lb butter softened to room temperature
- a few drops of your favorite extract flavor*
- 1 cup pearl sugar or colored sprinkles
*I added vanilla in half the batch and almond in another.
- Heat over to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mash 3 hard boiled egg yolks with a fork.
- Add one of the raw egg yolks to the dry mix and blend into a smooth paste.
- Add remaining raw yolks and blend well.
- Add sugar and beat well.
- Remove rings and wash hands. Blend in flour, then butter, alternating until the mixture is the softness of Play Doh (or marzipan).
- Blend in your favorite extract here. The dough should be smooth but not dry.
- Roll some dough out onto a smooth surface into a little thicker than a pencil thick rope.
- Cut the rope between 3" to 4" lengths with the side of the fork.
- Form the cookies into a simple, slightly overlapping wreath. If ends hang off the cookie they tend to break off. Make them into a ring like shape.
- Beat 2 egg whites into a foam.
- Dip one side of each cookie into the foam and then into the coarse sugar or sprinkles.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes until the cookies puff a bit and the bottoms are only lightly brown. This cookie doesn't get very brown.
- Cool on the baking pan a minute or two, then move to a wire rack.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.