Recycled Bottle Gold Leaf Candlestick Holders
If you are looking for a unique and elegant candlestick holder for the holidays why not make some out of old beer bottles. I had a lot of empty beer bottles given to me for my bottle art and decided to see what I could do with a few of them for the holidays.
I was shopping at one of our local markets looking to see what they had I could use for crafts. I found a burlap table runner with gold leaves on it for the holidays and decided to buy one. I wanted to use this on the bottom of the Christmas tree I made and had plenty of it leftover. That is when I got the idea to make some candlestick holders for the holidays.
Total Time: 3 to 4 hours
Yield: 2 candlestick holders
- 2 empty beer bottles
- white acrylic paint
- red or green acrylic paint
- 1 burlap table runner
- wood glue
- gel glitter
- bowl for paint
- hair dryer - optional, but helpful in reducing drying time
- Wash and clean your beer bottles and remove the labels. In a small bowl, add your white acrylic paint and paint the bottles using a sponge. Allow this to dry before adding the next coat of paint.
- In your bowl, add the green or red acrylic paint and add the second coat of paint to the bottles. You should use a sponge to do this. It gives a nicer look to the bottles.
- Once the glue has dried you can now add the gold gel glitter to the outside of the bottle. Put the gold gel glitter in a bowl and use your sponge to apply it to the outside of the bottle. I applied mine to the entire bottle surface.
- Cut out your gold leaves and prepare them to add to your bottle.
- Add a small amount of wood glue to a bowl and brush the glue on the cut out gold leaf. Also add some glue to the bottle where you want the gold leaf to sit. Place the leaf on the bottle. This is not so easy to stick and will come off if you are not careful. I normally take my hairdryer, set on low heat, to start the drying process. This helps the gold leaves to stick to the bottle and not come off. Place all the gold leaves on your bottle and allow a few hours for the glue to dry. You can add a second coat of the glitter gel at this point if you like. Once the bottle is completely dry it is time to apply a coat of varnish. Allow to dry.
- When the bottle has dried it is now time to add your candle.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.