Vegan Gluten Free Gingerbread
I was just playing around with ingredients for an upcoming holiday party I'm having where half the guests are vegan and a few are gluten free. I am pretty sure this recipe qualifies. The strange thing is, this tastes super buttery and naughty! My husband and I ate this entire batch in one night. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 16 cookies
- 1/4 cup oat flour* (I just pulsed dry oatmeal in my food processor)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter**
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/8 cup sprinkling or powered sugar (optional)
*Oats are technically gluten free but can be contaminated in the processing facilities. Be sure to purchase oats that are certified to be gluten free to be sure.
**Any nut butter can be used to substitute the peanut butter. To hide the peanut flavour, I added a touch more molasses. You'd never know a nut was in this.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (I used my toaster oven). Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- If you want circle cookies, just spoon dough on to baking sheet. I opted for squares so I spread the dough out onto the sheet in a big square. You could use a pencil to draw under some wax paper to help guide you in laying out the square, if needed. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven while still rather soft and make slices with a pizza cutter or knife. Return to oven for about 5 minutes. Your total bake time will be between 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a bit before you handle them. Either serve as is, sprinkle with sugar, or coat with chocolate.
- To coat with chocolate, just microwave chocolate chips at 30 second increments in a microwave safe bowl, stirring each time, until fully melted. Drop cooled cookies in to coat one side. Let dry, chocolate side up, for 10 minutes. I made sugar dusted and chocolate. Both so good!
*If you are trying to keep it truly vegan, vegan chocolate chips seem to be available at all grocery stores now, in the baking section.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.