Making Felt Bling Christmas Ornaments
Use felt and cookie cutters to make your own Christmas ornaments. Jazz them up with rhinestones and mirror shapes and voila! You have added a special touch to your Christmas tree!
Total Time: 45 minutes, drying time included
Yield: 3 ornaments
- white, green, and light blue felt
- 0.7 in wide candy striped grosgrain ribbon
- six 15mm round silver mirror shapes
- six silver small rhinestone sticker strips
- 11 silver rhinestone flowers, each 12mm wide
- white cotton filling
- fine silver embroidery floss
- Tescoma 630916 Christmas cookie cutters ~ tree, ball and star
- needle and strong white nylon thread
- standard scissors
- pink chalk pencil
- quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
- Place the tree cookie cutter on the green felt. Use the chalk pencil to trace around the cutter to transfer the pattern of the tree to the felt. Lift the cutter and repeat, so that you will have two traced trees. Cut out the felt trees and turn both over, so that the chalk markings will no longer be visible. Once sewn together, the chalk markings should be on the inside of the ornament. Use the star cookie cutter on the white felt to trace and cut two stars, and the ball cookie cutter on the light blue felt to trace and cut two balls.
- Glue grosgrain ribbon across the front of each ornament and cut off the protruding edges. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Glue two strips of rhinestone stickers across each ribbon. Even though the stickers are self-adhesive, use glue to secure them, and remember not to glue rhinestones right up to the edge of the felt, as you need space to sew.
- Glue two mirror shapes and some rhinestone stickers above and below each ribbon, and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Use a double strand nylon thread and with a blanket stitch, sew the two parts of each ornament together. When there is about a 1" opening left, stuff each ornament with cotton filling and then stitch up the opening. Make a double knot at the end before cutting off the remaining thread. Thread a double strand silver embroidery floss through the top of each ornament and tie to make a hanging loop.
- Hang them on the tree and enjoy!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.