Making a Thread Spool Christmas Ornament
Read More Comments
Start now and make ornaments for your tree. A lovely way to use up your empty thread spools! Works equally well with plastic or wooden spools, big or small. Great to use as package decorations or to give as gifts to friends/co-workers!
Approximate Time: 10-15 minutes
- Christmas gift wrap paper
- empty thread spool
- chenille stem/pipe cleaner
- small Christmas ball ornament
- Cut a strip of Christmas gift wrap paper wide enough and long enough to cover the body of the spool (the area where the thread used to be.) You can also use scrapbook paper or ribbon if you prefer.
- Glue the paper strip to the spool overlapping the edges
- Sit the thread spool upright on the wrong side of another piece of your paper and trace around the spool end.
- Cut out two circles of paper and glue one to each end of the spool.
- Cut a tiny opening in the bottom circle of the spool covering. This will be made at the location of the spool hole.
- Put a little glue around the top of the small ball ornament and stick it into the spool hole. (I used hot glue for this part so I wouldn't have to wait for the ball/spool connection to dry.) If regular glue is used, allow ornament to rest on its side until ball/spool connection is fully dry.
- Cut a chenille stem to 6 inches (longer or shorter if you prefer) and bend in half.
- Put glue on the stem ends and insert into the top circle of the spool covering at the location of the spool hole. You can feel the hole if you press on the end of the spool with your finger. (You can also use a ribbon or other type string as a hanger.)
These ornaments are super cute and very lightweight. Use your imagination to create truly unique ornaments.
By Pam from McMinnville, TN
3 More Solutions
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Every year my kids and I make a handmade ornament for their tree and one extra for the family tree. This is what we came up with this year.
To celebrate my grandson's first Thanksgiving and first Christmas and to commemorate family who can't be here this year due to COVID, I created some cute but simple tree ornaments using just photos and empty thread spools for an old fashioned look!
This cute Santa ornament is easy to make, starting with a red thread spool. This is a page about making a spool Santa ornament.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.